Thursday, November 29, 2012

Book Review {Bloom}

Years ago, and I am not sure how, I ran across a blog. I read it, throughly enjoying the raw beauty of this woman's story. At the time I had almost nothing to connect me to her. Nothing that spoke out to me and screamed that she and I were somehow "bonded". Then, when I was pregnant I found it again on Pinterest. 

I guess I should explain a little. Kelle is a mom, photographer and writer that lives in Florida. She has two step sons, a daughter, and then there is Nella, the beautiful inspiration for the blog, & then book that touched my heart.

The post is the beautiful birth story of her second daughter, Nella Cordelia. 

Reading it again I couldn't help but feel closer to Kelle. Like my mother's heart, and the little body inside of me made us sisters somehow. The same way I feel for all of my friends who are mothers I felt for Kelle. I hurt for Kelle. Her beautiful, sweet daughter was born with an extra chrmosome, and Kelle's world was rocked. I have her post tucked away in a folder on my computer somewhere but I am sad to say I forgot about baby Nella.

Then I found my own passion for blogging again, and when I started lining up some of my favorite blogs to follow I found once again, Enjoying the Small Things. I noticed in the sidebar that she had written a book, and I was hooked. I got the sample that night from the book store on my Ipad. I asked Brock to watch Hunter for awhile and I started reading as I sank into a hot bath. When I finished the preciew I was anxious for the rest, and purchased it then and there. For three nights after that I would wait for Brock to fall asleep and I would open it up and start reading. A few nights I would start out in the bath or couch and move my way to bed unable to tear myself away. Kelle's eloquent writing, and raw emotion had me mesmerized and I read as fast as I could. I would cry, I would laugh and I felt like I knew baby Nella the whole way through. 

I was thankful for my own healthy boy, and thankful for the gracious way Kelle showed me how to be an accepting, grateful mother. 

The sad was tempered with the sweetest stories of overcoming heartache and the joy that lies in family and sweet friends. The pages were dotted with beautiful full color photographs of this woman's heart, laid out in print. Photos of her children, her journey, and her face the first time she noticed Nella's. Many times I would call for Brock to come look, "Look babe, look how beautiful she is." And she is that, beautiful. Precious. Angelic even.

This book will forever have a place on my shelves. (as soon as I buy a copy!)

I urge everyone, and I mean everyone to buy and read this beautiful love story. You will not regret it.

Kelle wrote,

"Mothers have multiple hearts-one that beats inside them, rhythmically pumping  blood up and down, in and out- and one for every child she welcomes. And while the former of these hearts is brilliantly attached to the body where a labyrinth of nerve connectors that tell it how and when to respond, the latter of these hearts is likewise connected. Your child's sorrows are magnified within you, and you celebrate their joys tenfold."

You will be moved, I promise.

You can order here.


I am in no way being asked to write, or being paid to write this review. Simply put, my heart has been touched, and I want to share that with you.


No comments: