Sunday, January 6, 2013

We've Gone Primal!

Okay so it's day three, and I don't know if it's my mind or the lifestyle change but I am down in weight and feeling good! Want to know what we have been eating? Some of the freshest, tastiest meals I have ever put in my mouth! & most of them with little effort.

Not once did I feel unsatisfied or deprived. Okay maybe once when I ran across some Christmas candy and maybe one other time when it was checking out at Publix and saw a bag of hot chips, and thought about buying them, devouring them on the way home and then stashing them so Brock wouldn't know. But really, life has been smooth, webhave good snacks in the fridge and tons of bottled water and I munch on cocoa almonds when I need a little sweetness in my life.

Anyways, here is what we have eaten this weekend. And if we can do this kind of good old fashioned cave man eating on the weekend than ANYONE can do it anytime. Pinky promise.

Friday

Breakfast: Breakfast Burrito (thick sliced deli ham rolled around 1 scrambled egg)
Lunch: 1/2 cup sliced Strawberries, 1 cup fresh steamed green beans (no, not paleo, but leftover and I wanted to eat them up!) about 5 cherry tomatoes, and homemade chicken salad. (see recipe below)
Dinner- Seasoned turkey patty topped with sautéed onions. Green beans, sweet potato mash. (see recipe below)
Snacks- Cocoa roasted almonds.

Saturday

Breakfast- Coconut pancakes with sliced strawberries and banana. We used Cary's sugar free syrup but Agave nectar would have been a better Paleo approach.
Lunch- Chicken salad, cherry tomatoes and cucumber drizzled with apple cider vinegar.
Dinner- Chicken Fajita Salad ( essentially red bell pepper, onion and mushroom for the Mr sautéed with chicken and served over lettuce) You can add avocado, tomato, or salsa. We used a homemade vinaigrette of lemon juice, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
Snacks- Vegetable chips and guacamole, egg salad lettuce wraps.

Sunday

Breakfast- Turkey Sausage links, scrambled egg with salsa, and 1/2 naval orange
Lunch- Leftover turkey patty with sautéed onions, hard boiled egg, side salad with vinaigrette.
Dinner- Honey Mustard Chops, Butternut Squash Fries, and Citrus Glazed Carrots (recipes below)

BEST DINNER EVER

I was skeptical about the fries and even when I pulled them out of the oven I thought, this will be bad. I heaped them on our plates with a little bit of sugar free ketchup and warned Brock not to expect much. He literally took a bite and turned right around to head back into the kitchen to pile more on his plate. I had to tell him to sit down and remember to leave some for his lunch tomorrow. He liked them that much. My husband, the fry snob.

I am a proud woman tonight.

And he is right, they rock. Like, can't even tell its squash kind of awesome. We are in love.

Anyways, here are the recipes. Some I found on Pinterest, some, like the pork chips are my creations! Enjoy!




Chicken Salad
(this recipe is to the best of my knowledge. I don't use a recipe, I just do the durn thing :)

2 chicken breasts, boiled
1/2-1 cup mayonnaise (I used light, but you can use a Paleo recipe)
1 cup diced apple or sliced grapes
1/2-1 tbsp honey
1 tsp thyme
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Boil your chicken and chop or use food processor. I prefer the food processor method. Gives a sturdier texture. Mix in rest of ingredients and there you go! A delicious and fairly healthy snack!

Coconut Pancakes

4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut nectar (coconut sap) (we used agave nectar)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
coconut oil for frying

Preheat pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Beat eggs in a stand mixer until frothy. Mix in milk, vanilla, and coconut nectar.
In a small bowl combine coconut flour, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon and whisk together.
Combine dry mixture with wet in the stand mixer and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl then mix on medium to medium-high for another minute or two or until the coconut flour is completely mixed into the batter.
Grease pan with coconut oil. Pour batter to create pancakes that are about 3 inches in diameter. If the batter seems too thin you may need to add a small amout of coconut flour to achieve the desired consistency.
Cook for approximately 3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with coconut oil, coconut nectar, agave nectar, honey, syrup or fruit.

Citrus-Glazed Carrots

2 teaspoon olive oil
3 to 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wide and 2-inch long matchsticks
1 orange, juiced and zested

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium heat for 1 minute. Add carrots and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Stir in orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange zest. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes, until carrots are slightly softened. Remove from heat and keep covered.

**Note- I actually don't have anything that zests worth a crap, so I stuck half the orange in the pan and let it simmer along with the carrots and pulled it out at the end. Worked just fine.

Butternut Squash Fries

One 2lb squash
2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt
Pepper
Herbs de Provence

Preheat oven to 400 F. Peel and cut squash into fry shapes (roughly 1/3 in thick). Place in bowl and toss with hands to coat evenly with olive oil. Place on wire rack with a sheet pan user neath. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence. Bake for 40 minutes, turning them halfway. You can re season a this point as well. Enjoy alone or with ketchup.

Honey-Mustard Pork Chops

This is one of my creations. No specific recipe but I will do my best. We used 4 thinly sliced pork chops.

Mix equal parts yellow mustard, and honey. Add in a dash of red pepper flakes, and 1-1 1/2 tsp dill. (fresh is best but I used dried tonight and it was still delish). You can marinate the pork in this mixture of brush it on as it cooks. Heat up some olive oil in a pan and cook the chips. Basting will the honey mustard mixture as often as necessary.

So yummy, you won't regret this dish!

Enjoy!




No comments: