Monday, January 13, 2014

Medulla Oblongata

Exciting title eh? It's not what you think.

Picture it. If you know me I have this thick southern accent. so here I am talking to my best friend about birth and labor and , "My doula..." and it comes out sounding a lot like "medulla" like from medulla oblongata. Waterboy with Adam Sandler? Have I lost you?

Well pick back up with me and my awesome DOULA. We did get a good laugh over that but then I did have to explain what exactly a doula was and what she would be doing in regards to our birth experience.

As defined by DONA International,

"The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period."

& Valerie ((medulla)), was just that and so much more.

Valerie is first and foremost an amazing woman and friend. We know her and her family closely, and the other way around. We had actually first met Val, when we started a bible study and were pregnant with Hunter. We of course had Hunter, and you can read about his story here.

Later, after the birth of her son, Val began really pursuing her passion and we were so thrilled when we got pregnant with Hadley, and decided on a VBAC. We knew we had to have Val in that room with us. Then we made the decision to go natural and she became even more of a necessity.

We became clients and we had a meeting with her where she really explained to us what her role would be. Throughout the whole process we felt so grateful for her wealth of knowledge and her unwavering support of our choices.

Fast forward to the day I go into labor. Val is the first person I call at 7am to let her know I am in labor. She was in constant contact all day, providing support through text and phone calls. She gave advice on pain management since we would be laboring at home. She even came over to go on a walk with us in our neighborhood. She encouraged me, and helped me see the light at the end of the labor tunnel.

At 7pm when it was time to go in, Val was right behind us. She met us in triage and seeing her was the push I needed to keep going. From the moment she walked into our triage room, she was a calming but strong presence. Between her and Brock I felt so supported and loved.

When we moved to the labor and delivery room it was Val that kept cool rags on me. My back, and head, and neck. It was her who kept fluids in me and spoke to the Drs when I couldn't get the words out. She gave Brock the break he needed to just be my rock. Because of her diligence he was able to stay where I needed him, holding my hand and talking me through the pushing process. It was Valerie that held my hand after my baby girl was born and the did the repair work. She let me know everything was okay. She helped me feed my little one for the first time, and even ran to the vending machine to get us snacks.

To sum it up, she was an angel.

She was the best decision we made the entire pregnancy. No chiropractic care, or pregnancy diet, or book (although all of those things are great) was as valuable to us as she was.

I know that this idea of  a "doula" is different to a lot of people in this time, but it is really a forgotten art and I have never met someone so passionate about their job.

I urge everyone to read a little bit more about doula's here. & when you hire one, ((because you will want to hire one)) look into my sweet friend. You will not regret it!


Last but not least;

Our labor was whirlwind fast but between all of her amazing support for us she was able to capture a couple of pictures for us since it was too quick for our photographer to come in. I would like to share them with you in this format. I treasure them more than any photo I have and so wish I had some of Hunter's birth! Here are our first recorded memories of our sweet Haddie.
















 
 
Val, Brock and I treasure you. We will never forget your amazing selflessness in what you do. You were so "there" for both of us and we are forever grateful. Love you so much!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL! We had a photographer at Lillys birth and I plan on posting those as well :)