Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Year's Resolutions, To Make & then Break

Among the Top Ten New Year's Resolutions are some classics. Stop drinking. Quit smoking. Loose weight, and make money. It's also not surprising that only 8% of the people that make them, follow through and achieve success. I am all over the board with this one. I have made them, broke them, followed them, and forgotten all about them and then there are years I don't believe I even came close to choosing something, knowing my own track record. This year, the day after New Year's my husband asked me what I was going to try & achieve this year. Instantly I thought, better wife, great mom, loose weight, save money. Those sorts of things. But I told him, I would not make any this year. He of course, is a set your mind on it and get it done kinda guy so he thought I was just being lazy! We agreed to set small goals each week and hold eachother accountable for them. Mine was stop biting my nails (nasty habit, I know!!). Well, that lasted for about the five minutes it took for me to start worrying about something and then I was biting away. Go figure. 

This morning I was thinking about it and I think the instant you give one of your life goals, "resolution" status, you are destined to fail. Okay, so maybe 8% of us aren't, but for the rest of us it's a no brainer that we are doomed. So I just started thinking about things I'd be really happy to see myself do and this is what I came up with.

-Take better care of my skin.- Exercise, maybe not daily, but certainly as an alternative to sitting on my couch watching old Sex and the City re-runs. -Cook healthier meals for my family. -See our grandparents more. -Stop obsessing over my house, it will NEVER look like a Pottery Barn magazine, no matter how much of our money I spend there. -Take the time every day to tell my husband how much he means to me, and how great he is. - Drink more water. Less Dr. Pepper. I can't quit, but I can replace a few here and there. - Spend more time with the puppy dog, make sure he doesn't feel like we have forgotten him with all of the crazy-ness in our lives. - See new places, meet new people. - Be a better businesswoman. -Eat chocolate cake without feeling guilty. - Use my creative side more. Less looking at pinterest, more making things that are pinterest worthy. -Finish what I start!!! - Document our lives. Photographs, journals, time capsules, you name it. - Smile more, worry less. -Love myself for who I am. I already have a family, a man, and a son who loves me just how I am. I just need to teach me to do so as well!

Each and every one of these things will make me a better person. However, if at midnight next New Year's I am still the same messy, obsessive, Dr. Pepper drinking, procrastinating person that I am today, that will also be okay. I'll have everything I need in the two beautiful men in my life and what else could any girl possibly need?

No comments: