Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sleep

If you want to know what the purest form of torture is as a mother, get your one month old to sleep after about 4 hours of tears and frustration and then get settled down in the bed. Once you find the perfect cold spot for your feet and get snug as a bug, open up your ears because what's coming next is a tiny baby cry. There will probably be tears. From baby yes, but also from you.

& let me tell you, sleep deprivation is real. As a mother we are blessed with the ability to run on little to no sleep, but the line should be drawn at putting your sunglasses in the fridge and the butter in your purse. Yes, folks, the butter.

My point is that no two children are alike, and as a mother I am having to learn that the hard way. Hunter was a sleeper. I remember my brother in law always joking about his sleeping patterns. It was wild how often that boy was slumbering. Hadley is a different ball game. She plays by her own rules and let me just say that I'm not even sure what game we are playing, she is that good. However, we are learning together and the one thing this has taught me is that there should be no judgement in the early months of parenting. You truly do just have to do whatever it takes to get by. & yes, savoring the moments is important and so is all the advice from friends and family but at the end of the day you need to be doing what is right for you and your little. Sleep and sanity intact.

Any recommendations for peace in the early months? Other than prayer and pounds of patience??

No comments: