Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Letters to Hunter- 22 Months

My little big man,

Where do I start with you? You want to know what I can hear right now. Through the monitor and across the house you are in your room, supposed to be napping. What I hear however, are the sounds of you playing. "Reading" books, and climbing on and off your big boy bed. Sometimes I hear it get quiet and I know you have fallen asleep in front of the door, curled up on your blanket and clutching your sip pie cup or whatever toy you had been playing with.

Just an hour ago, I watched you take my keys from the car, walk up the walk and count the steps as you climbed them. Then you found the key and attempted to put it in the lock. How fast your little brain is working! I remember smiling as you practically skipped up the walkway that I always wanted to remember that moment. Watching my little boy be as big as he knew how to be.

You literally amaze me everyday with what you have learned when I wasn't looking. Whether it be a new shape, or word or funny phrase. Last night before my tennis class, you would grab your "ball" and tell Daddy, "Dada sit." You would tell him to "catch" and then grab his finger and have him follow you, saying "come here, get it" when it would get tossed out of reach. You are putting sentences together!! How wild is that?

I'm finding it a little hard to keep up with you. To be fair you are a wild man. You have such a willful attitude. You know what you want. Everyone calls you "Rambo" for rambunctious. I have never seen so much persistence in a little one. I am thankful for that, even if it's hard now. I pray you are a leader, not a follower. I want you to be strong in your convictions, always ready to stand up for what you believe in. I am proud already of that trait I see in you.

As wild as you are you are also so incredibly sweet. One of my favorite things you have been doing lately is your sweetness at bedtime. Daddy always gets you your juice, then he tells you to ho give Mommy & Sister a kiss. You run and kiss Sissy, then me, and sometimes Sissy again. & then Daddy tucks you in. Sometimes you ask one of us to lay down with you. You pat the bed or your pillow. Granted, its probably an attempt to milk a few extra minutes before bedtime, but watching that little hand touching the pillow pleading for us to stay is too much. I always oblige you, and lay down for a minute. Sometimes you want me to play with your hair or rub your arm. Sometimes you just want to lay your hands on mine while you drink your juice. & then always, always you wave and say "night, night" as we walk away.

& the next morning, I love hearing you call for Mama from across the house.

You are such joy to raise. Just when I think I am taking on too much, and being a terrible mother you show me how much you love me and recharge my spirit. In teaching you manner, and about the Lord I am finding so much joy. I know that is my number one purpose as your mother, to train you to be a servant and a loving, giving man. I hope I am doing that. I hope that your fierce personality and sweet temperament span into your adult life.

I have this feeling I will be watching you with awe as you love your wife and children one day, so incredibly proud of who you have become. Right now however, I am completely content to watch you learn to do puzzles and spell tiny words. Keep learning sweet boy! To the moon and back...


-Mama

No comments: